Thursday, May 29, 2008

Today's Ponderings

Yesterday I had a visit from a single friend whom I met in college. She was telling me that she was bored and having a hard time trying to fill in her days, when she's not working. At the time, I chuckled and said that I had the opposite problem. I had too much to do each day to stack it all in. As I was washing yet more laundry and dishes today, I started thinking about just how different my life is now from what it was 2 or 3 years ago.

Over the past few weeks, I have been watching a TV show that I started watching when I was in college. Back then, I would rent episodes from the video store and watch up to 8 episodes in a single day. What else did I have to do during those weeks when homework was scarce? Now I watch as much of an episode as I can while nursing or unpacking boxes, stopping as soon as my daughter drifts off to sleep so I can run to the chores I can't do while she's awake.

When I was still in college, I would go anytime I liked to get my nails manicured, my hair cut and dyed, or to watch a movie at the theater. Now I feel blessed on the days I actually have the time to curl my hair rather than pull it up in to a clip and move on. Gone are the days of manicures and dyeing my hair (even if my husband liked it as many different colors as I used to try).

I would call all my friends in a single day sometimes, trying to find some one to hang out with me. Now I have my beautiful daughter to talk to all day long and my husband to hang out with and watch movies with all the time, no phone call necessary.

I used to grab whatever was easy to make from the grocery store; frozen dinners, nutrition bars, maybe a banana sometimes. Every once in a while I would cook a dinner for myself and eat it...by myself. Now I have the time to cook healthy and tasty food and best of all, someone to enjoy it with me.

I used to look for anyway that I could find to get out of my house, both when I was in college and when I was living at home with my family; not because I didn't like my roommate or my family but because it made me feel even more alone than when I was all by myself. Now, there is no place on earth that I want to be more than my home. When friends want to get together, I would rather have them here for a movie or a cup of tea than being out and about town. Here in my home, I have all I have ever wanted; a husband who loves me and a daughter of my very own. Who could ask for anything more of this life we have on earth?

In college, all I could think about was wanted to get married and have a family of my own. When I graduated, I realized that Jesus was who I really wanted. I needed Him and I would have everything my heart desired, because He would mold me to be more like Him and my desires would change to become His desires. And in doing that, He gave me all these things. And I just wanted to say thanks to Him today.

Psalm 146:1 Praise ye the Lord. Praise the Lord, O my soul.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails