Thursday, December 6, 2007

A Domestic Revelation

I was in the middle of making dinner last night and had a revelation. You see, when I was growing up, I hated cooking. I would rather do almost anything than cook. I would volunteer to clean bathrooms, vacuum floors, wash dishes, almost anything but cook. It was so boring and without imagination. Yes, Anne Shirley and I were two peas in a pod that way. The only chore in my mind that was worse than cooking was gardening; all the dirt and bugs and hot sun. UGH!!!

In April I got married. During our engagement, I spent a lot of time thinking about how I would manage to cook three meals a day. I prayed and ask God to please do a miracle and help me learn to like cooking. I expected it would be a struggle of monumental proportions. I expected months of drudgery and toil, trying to make sure I kept a good attitude. I was ready for trouble.

Seven months past and I forgot all about my prayer...until the revelation last night. I realized, as I was cutting potatoes that I have missed cooking. (It had been a few days since I had made a dinner, between visiting family and leftovers.) I also realized that there hasn't been a single day that I have hated cooking since I got married. Oh, there have been days I didn't feel like cooking, being pregnant will do that to you. But I enjoy being in my own kitchen, using my own pans, bowls and dishes. And I love seeing my husband enjoying his dinner after a day of work.

So this has taught me two things. The first is that while I may forget what I prayed for, God never forgets or stops working on the needs of His children. And second that when you are willing to do what God has called you to do, He will give you all you need to complete the task: even something as big as actually enjoying cooking. :D

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails